Pomegranate, Basil and Queso Fresco Salsa
You might have started to notice a trend around here. Ever since I bought Chef Marcela Valladolid's book 'Mexican Made Easy', I have not been able to put it down. Her recipes are full of simple ingredients, but she really packs each dish full of flavor. You can taste each ingredient on their own, and they all shine in their own way. With that being said, this salsa caught my eye every time that I flipped through the book. I absolutely love when unique flavors and textures come together. This salsa is so refreshing and light. I decided to use Pepitas in place of the Pine nuts, because that is what I had on hand. Between these two types of nuts, each one will add its own characteristic to the salsa. The colors alone of this salsa are gorgeous, and it would be a great option to serve at your next get together.
Recipe adapted from Marcela Valladolid's 'Mexican Made Easy'
- 1/4 Cup Pepitas
- Seeds from on large Pomegranate (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons thinly sliced Basil
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled Queso Fresco or Feta
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Toast the pepitas in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden. 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the pomegranate seeds, basil, queso fresco, and cooled pine nuts.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.