Welcome to my first post. I have recently not only become a wife, but also a mother to a beautiful son named Giovanni. This is a place where I would like to express my love for life, food, family, and what ever else comes my way. Please feel free to comment and share any thoughts that you may have.
My first recipe that I would like to share is an indulgent take on a Caprese salad. The flaky puff pastry adds a rich and buttery flavor to the other simple and fresh ingredients. I find this to be a great substitute to a pizza on a classic movie night.
- 1 sheet of thawed puff pastry
- Extra-Virgin Olive oil for drizzling
- ½ lb of sliced mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tomatoes sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of thinly sliced fresh Basil
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 ½ Cups Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface, to form a rectangle that is roughly 10”x15”.
- Place the dough on a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper, or that has been lightly oiled.
- Bake until golden in color, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, until reduced to about 1/3 cup. Stirring occasionally, about 15-18 minutes.
- Cover the baked dough with the sliced tomatoes and mozzarella. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts
- Drizzle the Balsamic Reduction over the top, and garnish with the fresh basil.
- Slice into individual pieces, and serve.Enjoy!