Whole Grain Linguine with Toasted Breadcrumbs
The toasted breadcrumbs add such an exquisite texture and warmth to this pasta dish. I chose to use a whole grain pasta, not only as a healthier option, but I also love all of the colors together. This is a wonderful dish to share among friends with a great bottle of wine.
- 1 lb. Whole Wheat Linguine
- ¾ Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2/3 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- ½ Yellow Onion, Diced
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, Diced
- 1/3 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
- ¼ Fresh Flat- Leaf Parsley, Chopped
- 1 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- About a ¼ tsp. Kosher Salt, Plus more for seasoning
- About ¼ tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper, Plus more for Seasoning
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. About 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large sauté pan, heat the ¾ cup olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the bread crumbs and the salt and pepper. Stirring constantly, cook the bread crumbs until they are golden in color, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the breadcrumbs from the pan, and set them aside.
- In the same pan, heat the tbsp. of olive oil, then add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add the onion, and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until they have softened, about 8-10 minutes. Return the breadcrumbs back to the pan, and stir in the cooked pasta to the mixture. Remove from the heat. Add half of the fresh parsley and the Parmesan Cheese. Season the pasta with the salt and pepper. Toss the pasta to coat, and slowly add the reserved pasta water, to help loosen up the pasta. Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with the rest of the fresh parsley.