Today we are celebrating 'Día de la Revolución', and what better way than with a homemade Mexican street food staple. Sopes are an "antojito", which you can find all across Mexico. They are made from corn masa, that are shaped into a thicker version of a tortilla. They have rims on the outer edge, that are meant for holding in all of the flavorful fillings. My version that I made happens to not include meat, but typically you can find them with shredded meats, and even mole. The sopes work as your own little canvas. You can make little masterpieces, while being as creative as you would like. I made my sopes with colorful and delectable toppings. I started out with a layer of creamy refried beans, followed by crunchy shredded lettuce, and marinated onions. To add a touch of tanginess there is crema Mexicana drizzled over the top. Feel free to add a salsa of your choice, but this time around I made a fresh Salsa Verde. As a finishing touch a sprinkle of Cotija cheese rounds out the sope with its sharp and crumbly characteristics. Ingredients:
- 2 CupsMaseca Flour
- 11/2-2 Cups Lukewarm Water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Refried Beans
- 2 Cups Iceberg Lettuce, Shredded
- 1/2 Cup Pickled Onions
- 4-5 Radishes, Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Crema Mexicana or Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Salsa Verde
- 1 Cup Crumbled Cotija or Feta Cheese
For the Salsa Verde:
- 1 lb Tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Unpeeled
- 3 Jalapeño Chiles, Seeded
- 3 Serrano Chiles, Seeded
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Make the masa according to the instructions on the Maseca Package.
- Separate the dough into individual balls (about the size of a large golf ball.)
- Flatten the dough to make a flat circle. Then form rims along the edges.
- Heat up a dry pan or comal. Once heated, cook the sopes for about 2 minutes on each side.
- They will turn golden in color, when done.
For the Salsa Verde:
- Put all of the ingredients in a blender, and puree until smooth.
- Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
To Assemble the Sopes:
- Spread the sopes with the refried beans, dividing equally.
- Top with the lettuce, onions, and radishes.
- Drizzle the Salsa Verde and Crema Mexicana over the top.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of Cotija Cheese