Bolillo Panzanella Salad
I can not resist the smell of fresh bread coming out of the oven. Are there many people that can? At the market that we shop at, the second that the fresh bolillo rolls are out, there is a huddle of people. Everyone is trying to squeeze their way in armed with their plastic bags, and tongs.
With the rolls still warm when we arrive home, we normally always make tortas. I try to use them up when they are as fresh as possible, but then there are also times that they get put in the pantry for later. I can't tell you how many times I have opened the cabinet to a couple of "stale" bolillo rolls. This time around I looked at the stale rolls in a whole different way, and decided that they would be wonderful in a panzanella salad. Toasting them in the oven brings them back to life, and the little crunch adds a great texture to the salad. Next time that you have some left over bolillo rolls go ahead and throw them into this salad. There are so many bright flavors in this salad, and even a bit of heat from the Serrano chiles. I will be serving this salad at my next get together.
For the salad:
- 4 Bolillo Rolls, cut into cubes
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 Avocados, Cubed
- 1/3 Cup Green onions, pan roasted and chopped
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. Queso Fresco, crumbled
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Dressing:
- The juice of 3 limes
- 1-2 Serrano chiles, seeded and diced
- About 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Place the cubed bread onto baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven until slightly toasted, about 5-7 minutes.
- Heat a nonstick pan over high heat. In the dry pan roast the green onions until they are brown and charred on each side. About 2 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, place the lime juice, serrano chiles, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the olive oil, then set the dressing aside.
- To assemble the salad, place the toasted bread, tomatoes, avocados, green onions, queso fresco, and cilantro in a serving bowl.
- Drizzle over the dressing, and toss to coat.